sarahsar

sarahsar

Goodreads refugee (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1257768-sarah) exploring BookLikes.

Neverland: J.M. Barrie, the du Mauriers, and the Dark Side of Peter Pan - Piers Dudgeon I'm not sure quite what to say about this book. Parts of it were fascinating, but I found much of the wild speculation to be hard to swallow, especially with little in the way of sourcing to back the more far-fetched ideas. J.M. Barrie is depicted as a Svengali who manipulates and ultimately destroys the lives of the Llewelyn Davies boys (the real-life models for the Lost Boys of Peter Pan). I can buy that Barrie was a strange person who engaged in some sketchy behaviors. I can also buy that Barrie, Daphne du Maurier, and George du Maurier used a lot of autobiographical background in their writing. It's a stretch, though to start looking for real-life events to correspond to everything they wrote. This book makes it seem like Barrie was responsible for every horrible thing that happened to everyone he knew. Somehow he even gets the blame for Robert Falcon Scott's disastrous polar expedition of 1912! The overall premise is interesting, but without more to back it up this book is just a fantasy as wild as those written by its key subjects.