sarahsar

sarahsar

Goodreads refugee (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1257768-sarah) exploring BookLikes.

The Mystery of Mallory & Irvine - Tom Holzel;Audrey Salkeld Based on the title, I thought this book would focus more on what ultimately happened on Mallory and Irvine's fatal climb of Mount Everest in 1924, and while it certainly does cover that, the book also serves as an excellent biography of George Mallory. Additionally, it gives a behind-the-scenes account of some of the controversies and in-fighting regarding the Everest expeditions of the 1920s through letters written by members of the Mount Everest Committee at the time. This account adds insight into those controversies not addressed as fully (or at all) in other accounts of the expeditions. The discussion of Mallory's Cambridge/Bloomsbury years also adds new details not covered in other biographies. The research is meticulous and the footnoting excellent. Personally, I don't buy Tom Holzel's final chapter giving his theory as to what happened on the last climb, but I otherwise found Holzel and Salkeld's book to be one of the more enjoyable ones on this topic.